Centrelink is a federal government agency within Services Australia that is responsible for social, health and child support services and payments.

Centrelink can support people affected by family and domestic violence by providing information, resources and referrals. For people already receiving a Centrelink income support payment, there is a 'crisis payment' available within seven days of your living arrangements changing because of a family violence 'incident', equivalent to one week of their existing payment.

Some of the other payments available include:

  • JobSeeker
  • Parenting Payment
  • Family Tax Benefit A and B
  • Parental Leave Pay and Partner Pay
  • Child Care Subsidy
  • Disability Support Pension

Centrelink can also help manage Child Support payments.

To find out what support payments a person may be eligible for, search the Services Australia website for the Payment Finder.

If someone doesn't understand or agree with a decision Centrelink has made, they can ask for an explanation or apply for a formal review.

If you or someone you know is having problems with a Centrelink payment or you have a Centrelink debt, Economic Justice Australia has information and contacts that may be useful.

Find legal help for a Centrelink issue. Find out more about Centrelink benefits relevant to single mothers. Search the Services Australia website for the Payment Finder.